Arisimparuppu- ( In Tamil- அரிசிம்பருப்பு - அரிசியும் பருப்பும்) Rice + Lentils . It is a kongunadu style dhal rice , very easy and a comfort food for anyone from kongunadu . Sambhar rice, pongal everything has the same Rice and some dhal combinations, but the procedure differs and so does the taste.
Arisimparuppu is either made with thoor dhal or Split Val dhal. I have posted earlier a thoor dhal used arisimparuppu recipe. with minor changes, but not touching the authentic roots, here comes another recipe. Val dhal gives an enhanced flavor to the rice. Pieces of coconut are normally added in the mutton curry, chicken curry and in the Arisimparuppu Rice in the rural parts of Kongunadu District and I simply love it. In kongunadu kitchen,you can find the wide use of ponni boiled rice, shallots and coconut and you can find everything in this recipe, and that may be one of the main reasons I love it .
1 1/2 cup ponni pulungal arisi ( ponni boiled rice) *
3/4 cup minus 2 tbsp split val dhal / avarai paruppu
about 15 shallots/ pearl onion chopped
5 to 6 pieces of peeled whole garlic
1 small size tomato, chopped
2 thai green chillies, split lengthwise
1/8 tsp asafoetida
few springs of curry leaves
2 to 3 dry red chillies (broken)
1 tsp black mustard
1 tsp channa dhal / kadalai paruppu
1 tsp or more kuzhambu Milagai thool/ Sambhar Powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 cup sliced coconut
1 tbsp. coriander leaves, chopped
4 tbsp. Cooking Oil
Salt ( as per taste)
1. Soak rice and lentils in water for 10 minutes( Do not soak any longer, else the lentils will be mushy when pressure cooked). Drain and Reserve.
2. In a pressure cooker, add oil, and once it is hot, add the dry red chillies, mustard and channa dhal. once the mustard splutters and channa dhal turns golden brown, add the shallots, garlic,green chillies , coriander leaves and curry leaves. Saute at low medium,until the shallots becomes translucent.
3. Add the tomato and sauté until mushy. Reduce to low flame, add 3 1/4 cup water, then the rice and lentil, followed by the Kuzhambu Milagai Thool/ Sambhar powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida ,coconut slices andsalt.
4. Cover with lid with the weight on and cook for 3 sounds on medium flame.
5. Even after the pressure goes off, wait for 5 more minutes and then use the spoon to give a gentle stir to mix the rice once. At this point a teaspoon of ghee can used to stir.
6. Serve it hot with coconut oil or ghee for the first serving and with yogurt for the second serving, with potato- brinjal poriyal. That is how it is served normally.
1. The rice and lentil should be cooked, not be mushy. the consistency shouldn’t be like what we cook for pulao and it shouldn’t be mushy like pongal – hope you got it .
2. The rice : lentil should be 2 : some what lesser than 1 always. And the water is calculated like for 1 cup of rice ( take only rice into account and not the dhal here), it is two cups and a small portion, but not too much for the dhal. Here in the recipe, for 1 1/2 cups rice, I have added 3 cups water and just 1/4 additional water for the dhal.
2. Do not add more tomato, else it will ruin the taste.
3. If not using boiled rice, substitute with sona masoori.
4. Split Val dhal can be found in lentil aisle in desi grocery stores.
5. The sliced coconut is frozen and it is desi delight brand.