This is a fool proof dinner roll recipe, that I blindly follow. It serves as a very good substitute for Indian Pav buns.
Eggless Pav Bun Recipe / Egg Free Diner Roll Recipe
Makes 12 rolls
1 1/4 to 2 cups all-purpose flour, or more if needed
1 envelope rapidrise yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1. Combine 3/4 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
2. Heat milk, water and butter until very warm (120 degrees to 130 degrees F). Add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
3. Add 1/4 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in enough remaining flour ( 1/4 cup at a time) to make soft dough.
4. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
5. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces; shape into balls. Place in greased 8-inch round pan, lined with parchment or wax paper. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
6. Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 17 to 20 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; brush with additional melted butter, if desired ( Please do that ;) ). Serve warm.
This original recipe is from the fleischmann's and I have always tried with the same brand. I wanted to post the recipe trying this recipe with some other brands. This time, for the bun picturised above, I have used the red star brand. That also worked fine. Make sure it says Rapid Rise Yeast and not