All the dishes I prepare, are mainly focused on my kids.They love crunchy snacks and this is an auspicious month according to Tamil calender, where we do not cook/eat non-vegetarian food, so this dish becomes an excellent alternative for them .
Vegetable and Paneer Croquette
1 1/2 cup boiled and mashed potato
few french beans finely chopped
few carrots cooked and mashed
1/4 cup grated paneer(Indian cottage cheese)
2 green chillies minced or extra finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 1/2 tsp ground garam masala(store bought/homemade)
mozzarella cheese sticks cut into 1 inch (as needed)
white sauce(recipe follows)
bread crumbs(as needed)
Oil(For deep frying)
1. Spread breadcrumbs in a plate and keep it ready.(I prefer store bought rather than homemade crumbs , the reason being, they are even more crispier than the homemade)
2. Add all the ingredients and mix well(except the white sauce,bread crumbs and oil).
3. Make balls out of the mixture,roll into cylindrical shape and make an indention and place the mozzarella sticks into the roll.Cover and shape it into cylindrical shape again.
4. Dip them in the white sauce(recipe follows), and roll them in the breadcrumbs generously. Move the breadcrumbed rolls to another plate.
5. Repeat the same with the rest of the rolls. Cheese stick can be avoided too. In that case, it can be prepared into cylindrical shapes or just as a patty.
6. Cover the plate tightly with a plastic wrap. Refrigerate it atleast for an hour.
7. Heat the oil in a pan at low medium heat and deep fry these rolls/patties in batches, until they turn golden brown on all the sides ( can also be shallow fried). Remove and put in paper towel to absorb excess oil. Serve them hot with your favorite dip.
For the White sauce
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp allpurpose flour
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt.
1.On low flame, add the butter in a pan, once it is melted, bring in the all purpose flour and stir continuously until the raw smell is gone(about 9 minutes on low flame).
2.Add the salt and the milk and stir constantly until the sauce thickens and looks smooth.
3.This is the binding sauce for the croquettes.
The breadcrumbed rolls/patties can be kept frozen covered with a plastic wrap. Remove and deep fry/ shallow fry when needed.
Croquette recipe adapted from Chef.Sanjeev Kapoor's website, with some changes and white sauce recipe from about dot com.