The search for the aunthentic Chettinad Chicken came to an end, when I found this recipe. My DH and kids like a semi gravy chicken dish for rasam and rice like this recipe, that I posted earlier.I have tried this chicken chettinad recipe thrice and always it has come out well.
Chettinad Chicken / Chicken Chettinad
Recipe Source : Chef Damodharan
Serves 3 to 4
1 lb bone in chicken(skinless)
1 big onion chopped
1 medium size tomato chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 piece Black stone flower (kalpasi)
1 tbsp plain yogurt(optional)
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
few curry leaves
4 tbsp Oil
To dry roast into a fine powder
10- 15 Dried Red Chillies
1 big bark cinammon
2 to 3 star anise
1/4 cup dry coconut
1 tsp jeera
1 1/2 tbsp saunf
1 tbsp whole black pepper
5 to 7 tbsp whole coriander
1 to 2 blades of mace
1. Dry roast the ingredients into a fine powder.Marinate the chicken with some salt ginger garlic paste and turmeric powder.
2. In a kadai, heat oil and once it is hot, add black stone flower, onion followed by tomato and curry leaves, once it is half cooked add the chicken and saute continuously until it oozes out the moisture in it and almost cooked.
3. Now, add 2 tbsp(or as needed) of the ground spice mix and stir very well. If using the yogurt add it and saute until the mixture forms a semi gravy consistency. Add the coriander leaves and stir just before a minute of switching off the stove. If needed drizzle water, as and when needed to cook the chicken.4. Serve it hot.
- I have tried this recipe with/ without using yogurt.Both ways it tastes good.
- I tried the powder in a curry based chicken, but was not satisfactory.It is good for this given recipe.
- Do not add more than a piece of black stone flower.